Join Our Team
CitySeed seeks a dynamic, mindful and entrepreneurial leader with proven experience in organizational management and leadership.
At CitySeed, we believe a just food system is foundational to a thriving community and we actively strive to remove barriers to food access, food entrepreneurship, and local farm viability. Our vision is to provide all New Haven residents with access to fresh, local food and to build economic opportunity in the food system.
The Executive Director (ED) will be responsible for advancing CitySeed’s mission, values, strategic priorities, policies, programs, and financial objectives. The ED must bring demonstrated capability to the essential work of fundraising (ongoing development and an upcoming major capital campaign), economic development, and workforce training. As CitySeed approaches its 20th anniversary, evolving the vision and expanding the organization’s capacity to meet the future is a crucial priority for the ED.
The Executive Director will lead and grow the organization with energy, creativity,humility and humanity–and bring a lens of racial equity and economic opportunity to the work.The ED will act as a trusted thought leader on the local food system, food justice, and economic development. They will work closely with a broad network of stakeholders, including colleagues across CitySeed’s programs, farmers and food businesses, donors and funders, partner organizations and community members. The ED formulates and recommends strategic, business, operational plans, and budgets to the Board. This position reports to the Board of Directors.This position reports to the Board of Directors.
Strategy & Planning
- Works with the Board, staff, and partners as necessary, to develop, fund, and execute a strategic plan defining the future direction of CitySeed
- Develops long-range income streams, annual budgets, and program plans based on priorities, strategies, and measurable outcomes in collaboration with the Board, Managing Director, and relevant partners
- With the Managing Director, leads the organization’s Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion efforts and supports organizational progress on the DEI Action Plans.
Development, Communications and Community Relations
- Drives an overall fundraising strategy to raise strategic funding from individual donors, foundations, corporations, and the government
- Oversees all grant-writing and grant reporting for the organization
- Explores innovative earned revenue opportunities to further diversify and strengthen CitySeed’s fiscal wellbeing and sustainability
- Serves as lead representative and spokesperson for CitySeed to all media, government agencies, and community partners and represents CitySeed on various committees, task forces, or councils at the community and state-wide level
- Develops CitySeed’s public image by working Communications & PR Firm and staff on CitySeed’s branding & marketing strategy
- Establishes and maintains intentional, diverse, and collaborative relationships with other organizations and partners and strategically build new connections to further the organization’s mission (ex: City, State and Federal officials, food system nonprofits, immigration and refugee organizations, university professors and students, foundations, economic development agencies)
- Evaluates all CitySeed plans, programs, activities and procedures with regard to their purpose, sustainability and impact on the organization and community
- Ensures compliance, at all levels, with CitySeed’s policies and procedures as well as federal, state and local laws
- With the Managing Director, evaluates and evolves CitySeed’s personnel policies to meet the changing needs of the workforce and changes in the environment.
- With the Managing Director, leads and nurtures a strong team aligned with CitySeed’s organizational values, strengthening leadership at all levels of the program and promoting effective and inclusive communication
- Promotes effective, consistent, and inclusive communications, internally and externally, to ensure cooperation and collaboration between staff and community to support CitySeed’s work
- With the Managing Director, recommends an annual budget for Board review and approval
- Ensures adequate funding raised to operate the organization and to maintain a solvent financial position
- With the Managing Director, maintains the implementation of a sound fiscal management and accounting system that includes budgeting, accounting, reporting and auditing activities, ensuring that appropriate fiscal controls and procedures are in place to ensure transparency and accountability
- With the Board Finance Committee, creates and adopts new financial policies appropriate for a growing and increasingly professional organization
- Fosters Board relationships and overall Board effectiveness in concert with the Board leadership
- Provides support for the Board’s oversight and fiduciary responsibilities
- Recommends policy for Board review and action and implements the Board’s policy decisions
- Works with and supports the Board Chair and Governance Committee in mobilizing the Board committees and is present on all appropriate standing and ad-hoc committees
- Supports the recruitment of new and diverse board members that reflect CitySeed’s goals and the communities we serve.
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
We anticipate that a successful candidate will have management experience in a nonprofit or values-driven organization, and direct experience working with farmers and agricultural communities, low-income communities, immigrants and refugees, or people experiencing food insecurity. CitySeed recognizes that experience and expertise come in many forms. If you have different experiences that you think are a good fit for the role, please apply so we can learn more about you.
- Experience with higher-level organizational strategy and organizational growth
- Significant experience in managing an initiative, department and/or organization with responsibility for planning, fiscal controls, revenue generation and community relations or related relevant experience
- Experience in raising funds, developing strategic fundraising programs and expanding development efforts
- Strong financial management skills and knowledge of the fundraising and investment landscape that can support our work
- Demonstrated capacity for engaging and developing a diverse team of contributors
- Strong written communications skills, including: writing and editing, developing proposals
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate effectively with many stakeholders
- Experience taking initiative and managing complex projects that require organization, attention to detail, prioritizing activities, and meeting deadlines
- Excellent listening, facilitation, and analysis skills
- Passion for community-level food systems and a commitment to racial and economic justice
- Flexibility, maturity and entrepreneurial spirit
- Strong public relations skills
- Knowledge of the New Haven food system and/or nonprofit landscape
- Demonstrated knowledge of food systems and sustainable agriculture
Desired Start Date: November 2023
Location: New Haven, CT. CitySeed is currently a hybrid work environment with some in-person and some remote duties. The Executive Director will regularly participate in off-site meetings, events, and other activities representing CitySeed.
This position is full-time and salaried. Salary is commensurate with experience. The starting salary for this position starts at $80,000 and the maximum is $100,000.
Benefits include a generous vacation and holiday package parental leave, a flexible work schedule, professional development, 401k benefits including 2% employer contribution and other benefits.
CitySeed is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to creating a diverse, equitable, welcoming and inclusive environment for all employees and our community. We honor candidates’ experiences, perspectives and identities.
Job Type: Full-time
Application deadline: until filled
Pay: $80,000.00 – $100,000.00 per year
Paid time off
Work Location: Hybrid remote in New Haven, CT
To Apply: Please email your resume and cover letter to email@example.com with the subject line CitySeed Executive Director
Digital Marketing Manager (Part-Time)
CitySeed’s Digital Marketing Manager is a talented and mission driven position charged with promotion of the CitySeed brand and programs within the New Haven Community and beyond. The Digital Marketing Manager is positive, flexible, creative, enjoys collaboration, building relationships and has a knack for storytelling. This position reports to the Executive Director..
This is a part- time, 20 hour a week position
- Utilize social platforms to tell authentic stories that strengthen our mission, programs, and furthers our anti-racism work.
- Create and manage a marketing calendar and collaborate with program leads to execute cross-channel campaigns, social media, newsletters.
- Manage updates to the cityseed.org website
- Increase CitySeed’s online visibility and following.
- Utilize analytic tools to monitor, evaluate and report on online presence and content performance and provide recommendations and improve the performance of new campaigns and concepts.
- Manage advertising campaigns across the organization.
- Create content that promotes audience engagement, increases audience presence on company sites, and encourages audience participation
- Act as point person for CitySeed’s newsletter systems and work with Program Leads to execute program newsletters
- Create content for social media channels, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and other relevant platforms
- With Program Leads develop social strategy and content that is relevant, engaging, and reflective of CitySeed’s food justice work
- Create on-brand graphic design, written, video and photo content
- Monitor and optimize content following search engine optimization (SEO)
- Generate, edit, publish and share daily content that is engaging, informative and in line with CitySeed’s anti-rascist values
- Monitor and respond to feedback received on social media Other responsibilities as they arise
Familiarity with email marketing software e.g. Constant Contact, Mail Chimp, etc
Experience with Canva design software
1+ years relevant outreach/marketing/communications experience
Commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI), anti-racism and CitySeed’s mission and values
- Excellent relationship-building skills and project management skills
- Marketing pro: Demonstrated understanding of how to reach target audiences using data, Google Analytics, email marketing, social media
- A Team player: equally comfortable strategizing on campaigns as well as executing on the day to day tasks and pitching in where necessary
- Positive, can-do attitude and ability to work with diverse stakeholders
About CitySeed: For more about CitySeed and our mission visit our website: www.cityseed.org
Job Type: Part-time
Application deadline: until filled
Location: New Haven, CT (CitySeed is currently a hybrid work environment with both in-person and remote duties.)
This position is part-time and hourly. Salary is commensurate with experience, starting at $20/hour.
Benefits include vacation and holidays, a flexible work schedule, professional development, and other benefits.
To Apply: Email your resume and cover letter to jobs@cityseed with the subject line Digital Marketing Manager. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
CitySeed is committed to creating a diverse, equitable, welcoming and inclusive environment for all employees and our community. We honor candidates’ experiences, perspectives and identities.