Are you a farmer or producer interested in selling at a CitySeed Farmers’ Market?
Thank you for your interest in our markets!
All prospective applicants must follow the application process for applying to become a vendor at a CitySeed Farmers’ Market. Continue below to find out if you qualify for a CitySeed market and for details about the application process.
CitySeed Market Application Process
Step 1: Do You Qualify?
CitySeed operates producer-only farmers markets. CitySeed Farmers Markets are committed to enabling the producers of CT Grown farm products to sell directly to customers. Participation in our markets is only for Connecticut farmers/producers who sell what they grow, raise, or produce on their own farm or facility. We do not allow crafts that do not have an agricultural component or re-selling at our markets.
Step 2: Review Our Market Guidelines
CitySeed’s mission is to engage the community in growing a local, equitable food system that promotes economic development, community development and sustainable agriculture. Our Market Guidelines ensure that the markets serve to fulfill the CitySeed mission. Please read through the Market Guidelines carefully before contacting us or submitting an application. The guidelines outline our general criteria for selecting vendors, market procedures, value-added agricultural products, attendance, and fees. As part of the application, you will be asked to sign an agreement to abide by the full set of market guidelines.
Below are some key guidelines to take note of:
• Connecticut Grown: All produce sold at the market must be grown in Connecticut.
• Producers only/Sell what you grow: City Farmers’ Markets are “Producer Only” markets at which farmers sell what they grow and other vendors sell what they themselves have produced. At least one person who is directly involved with production must attend every market, that is, someone who works on the farm or in the bakery.
• For prepared foods and value-added agricultural products, the main or theme ingredient must be grown in CT
• Liability Insurance is required.
• WIC and Senior FMNP Certification is required for those who are eligible.
Step 3: Apply
Once you have read through the Market Guidelines and determined that you qualify, you can apply online to our markets through Farmspread. Please note that qualification does not mean you are automatically accepted into a market. If you already have a Farmspread profile set up, you can simply update your profile to apply. If you have never used Farmspread, it may take a little while to set up your profile initially, but then you will be able to use that profile for all applications to CitySeed markets going forward.
CitySeed will review applications using the criteria outlined in the Market Guidelines, taking into account the need to provide customers with a variety of products. The criteria for selecting producers include:
• Commitment to helping to fulfill the mission of CitySeed, which includes a willingness to engage and educate market customers about farming and your local farm product
• Commitment to the market’s spirit of trust and collaboration
• Quality of product
• Diversity (especially for fruit and vegetable producers)
• Sustainable, traditional, ecological, organic & biodynamic methods of production
• Distance from the market (the closer the better!)
• Appealing display that includes educational materials
Step 4: Await Notification from CitySeed
CitySeed Market Managers will notify you once a decision has been made on your application. If we can accommodate your request to participate in our market(s), you will be asked to pay the appropriate season fee before the start of the market season, as well as the weekly fee starting with your first market.