Part-Time, Seasonal Job Opening: Event Coordinator, Local Market, Global Table
CitySeed is a dynamic, community-based nonprofit organization based in New Haven, CT whose mission is to engage the community in growing an equitable, local food system that promotes economic development, community development and sustainable agriculture. CitySeed runs a range of programming to that end, including its flagship Farmers Markets, SNAP Programming, Food Entrepreneurship Services, Cooking and Nutrition Education, and Sanctuary Kitchen. We work to build a just food system in New Haven, that supports sustainable agriculture across the state of Connecticut. We also work to build community and bring people together through food.
The Part-time, Season Event Coordinator would be an integral part of the staff team that puts on CitySeed’s annual fundraising dinner, Local Market, Global Table (LMGT), which raised over $23,000 last year. CitySeed seeks an organized, computer savvy, detail oriented, creative person to join our team and coordinate this event. The right candidate will have a passion for connecting people through food and supporting CitySeed’s mission. This position would report directly to the Executive Director, and would work closely with CitySeed’s Administrator and Kitchen Program Manager.
Events strategy and management
- Coordinate regular meetings of the LMGT planning committee, and follow up with email communication
- Participate in setting event goals, roles, strategies, timeline, budget, etc.
- Help facilitate strong communications among partners
- Help solve problems and realize opportunities as they arise, and step into specific responsibilities as needed
- Coordinate volunteers, and manage leading up to and on the day of the event
Coordinate sponsor communication & experience:
- Work with CitySeed staff to secure corporate, foundation, and individual sponsorships for Local Market, Global Tableto help CitySeed’s meet its fundraising goal.
- Coordinate with sponsors and partners to secure in-kind donations, participation at the event, and financial support.
- Coordinate communication with sponsors around benefits and recognition
- Ensure all sponsors are appropriately acknowledged
Logistics coordination during the event:
- Train, coordinate and manage community volunteers and staff/board volunteers for the event.
- Bottom line site setup at Common Ground — working with volunteers to set up key event areas.
- Act as point person on-site day of event — checking in with all leads (registration, auction, Culinary Coordinator, storytelling, MC/presenters, set-up crew, etc.), ensuring the event runs smoothly and attendees have a positive experience.
- Work with staff and volunteers to ensure cleanup, wrap-up post event runs smoothly
- Support the Sanctuary Kitchen team as needed for food set-up and service.
Key Qualifications Include:
- Strong experience and skills managing community engagement and fundraising events.
- Rock solid planning skills, detail management, logistics coordination, and follow-through.
- Excellent relationship-building and communications skills, in person and in writing, with people from a range of backgrounds (e.g., non-profit staff, corporate sponsors, volunteers, and racially and culturally diverse community members).
- Ability to work flexible, part-time hours, including evenings and weekends.
- A commitment to inclusiveness, equity, and justice — and to making LMGT an inclusive, welcoming space.
- A passion for food justice issues.
CitySeed is particularly excited for candidates who:
- Have participated in and/or volunteered with CitySeed in the past, and are familiar with our work.
- Would like to play a sustained (and potentially growing) role in organizing Local Market, Global Table in future years.
- Can help to evaluate and systematize Local Market, Global Table, making it a more inclusive and effective event.
This is a part-time, seasonal position, starting in April and continuing through July 2019.We anticipate a total of approximately 220 hours of work, paid at $17/hour — approximately 20 hours each in April and May, 80 hours in June, 80-100 hours in July. Exact hours are flexible, dependent on the ideal candidate’s schedule and the event needs. Rate is negotiable.
To apply for this position:
This position reports to Amelia Reese Masterson, who is the Executive Director at CitySeed and has been involved in running LMGT previously. Please send Amelia an email at email@example.com with your Cover Letter and Resume attached. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
CitySeed is an equal opportunity employer, and is particularly eager for candidate who help us fulfill our commitment to building a racially and culturally diverse staff. CitySeed is committed to examining food justice issues, how systems of oppression impact the organization’s work, and how resistance to those systems can contribute to a more just food system.